Saturday, February 21, 2015

THE WEATHER MAN GOT IT RIGHT

Although I have never made bread before, today seems like a great day to try it. This recipe is from my friend Annette who insists this is easy and foolproof. I believe she got the recipe from SimplySoGood.com. I am going to put the ingredients together later today, letting the dough sit overnight, and I will bake it in the morning.
Recipe...........
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
                          1 3/4 tsp. salt
                          1/2 tsp. yeast
                          1 1/2 cups water
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12-18 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reach 450* place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place dough on a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap, and let set while the pot is heating. Remove the hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes, Remove bread from over and place on a cooling rack to cool. **Depending on your oven watch the bread the last 15 minutes while uncovered, so as not to over bake. A Le Creuset  dutch oven is the perfect pan to make the bread. The enamel interior prevents sticking, and the cast iron core is preferred.
My mouth is water already. I will let you know if I have a new career as a bread maker.
My plan was to go to the House and Garden Show, however Mother Nature is playing the snow card, making tomorrow look like a better day.
Today is a good movie day, and since there are several movies that are up for Academy Awards which I have missed, Drexel here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment